This homestead, on the Parade near the Congregational Church, was the site of the residence of Henry Clarke, who moved from Newbury, Mass., in 1727. His son, Enoch Clarke, was the operator of a tavern in this building in 1750. Town records indicate Enoch received a license from the town selectmen to operate a tavern, as there was no building close to the church for food and drink. For several years the Congregation Church was the meeting place for all town activities as well as worship, and the location of Clarke’s building was very appealing to townsfolk for a respite. The Clarke family ran the business until 1782, when it was leased to John Weeks who ran it under the “Sign of Salutation.” Truworthy Dearborn purchased the property in 1795 from Enoch Clarke and ran the tavern on the site until 1812. It was he who erected the present buildings around the small original Clarke-house Tavern.
Map ID: 30
Community Congregational Church of Greenlandc.1756
4 Church Lane
While the congregation can date its origins back to 1706, the current structure overlooking the Parade was erected in 1756 after a fire burned down the original on the corner of Cemetery Lane. It has seen many changes over the ages, and serves the community to this day.Map ID: 15
47 Tidemill Road
Built to entice Reverend William Allen to come and preach in Greenland, this structure hosted parish meetings until the church was finished.Map ID: 17
The Frink House (originally John Folsom Tavern)c.1750
From 1766 until the 1770s, John Folsom (1723-1787) operated a tavern here on Greenland’s
Parade, in a building believed to date from the 1750s or earlier. In 1810, the structure was enlarged
considerably to the building we see today, and the 1750 tavern still stands in the back of the house.
In the early 1770s, American colonists began organizing protests against the British government, and
in December 1774 Greenland citizens raised a Liberty Pole after meeting at Folsom’s Tavern.
Folsom was also among the number of Greenland townsmen who signed a 1775 petition to the
Continental Congress, assuring they would gather as a militia to protect and defend “libertys.” [sic]
Records indicate John Folsom held the military rank of Colonel, but it is unclear if his service was in
the 7 Years War or the American Revolution.
After the 1810 Federal structure was completed, Stephen Huse of Greenland advertised in the New Hampshire Gazette that he had opened a “new, elegant and commodious hotel…fronting the 3 post roads to Portsmouth, Boston, and Exeter.” These roads are the current Post Road and Route 33, and were heavily traveled in the 18th and 19th centuries. This helps explain, too, why there were so many taverns and hotels in Greenland during this period–plenty of customers!
After Huse’s death in 1812, the building continued as a tavern/hotel for over half a century, the last operator being Simes Frink, host of the “Greenland House” until his death in 1866. His son, lawyer John Samuel Hatch Frink, further improved the buildings and grounds. Frink was responsible for erecting the gazebo on the Parade across from his home, and it was a trolley stop for Greenlanders visiting Portsmouth.
Map ID: 31
Thomas Ayers Homesteadc.1737
The earliest sections of the Thomas Ayers Homestead date back to 1737 which was then on the “old post road” between Boston and Portland, Maine. The house and outbuildings expanded over the years, to create the imposing landmark on current Park Avenue. In the late 1800’s, it served as a summer boarding house called Elm Shade, offering city dwellers a quiet rural vacation for $1 a day.
Map ID: 25
Weeks Brick Housec.1710
1 Weeks Ave
This old brick house has been boasted of for centuries as the oldest such construction in New Hampshire reportedly erected in 1638, by the father of Leonard Weeks. There is no evidence that he was ever on this side of the ocean and Leonard himself was only five years old in 1638. The land the house is located on, was laid out for Leonard in 1679. Such historians as Andrew Haines and Jacob Chapman both have settled on a date of erection between 1710 and 1712, probably by Captain Samuel Weeks, son of Leonard. The owner in 1776 was William Weeks. The house was in the family for ten generations until sold in 1968. After a period of seven years, the house and two acres of land was purchased in 1975 by a Weeks family Corporation to reclaim the property and hopefully to restore and maintain it as a tourist attraction.
Map ID: 24
William Pickering Housec.1805
Daniel Webster lived in the home between 1808-1812.
Map ID: 27