Bracketting Winicutt Road, this pair of farmhouses offers a contrast in conditions. The William Simpson House is easily seen from the road on the west side, and was part of a thirty acre farm. The David Simpson House is on the opposite side, largely hidden by trees, included land that once encompassed much of Vardon Lane and reached to the Winnicut River, where the owners operated a now vanished grist mill.
This fine Greek Revival farmhouse with a slate roof hints at the prosperity that Greenland enjoyed prior to the Civil War era.
The noted stateman Daniel Webster lived in this fine residence between 1808-1812.
Built by Captain Joshua Weeks, this house and surrounding land has been in the Weeks family for many generations. This homestead was erected circa 1737. In 1776, resident farmer Deacon Samuel was the owner. Additional property was purchased over the years. The present owner is Attorney David Engel. There is much less land today than with the original property but the house and outbuildings have continued as one of the more attractive places among Greenland homes.
Originally located in Stratham before the boundary line was moved, this house was operated as a tavern from 1785 to 1840.
While the date of the house’s erection is unclear, part of it may have been standing as early as 1690. It was enlarged, and used as a public house or tavern in 1765. For a time, church services were held here during the winter months as it was heated. The tavern was operated by the Bayley family from 1776 to 1840, after which the Pickering family kept the business for a few years more.
For a time, this was the stage coach stop and acting town post office from 1750 to 1812, when it was one of three licensed taverns in town.
While the original tavern was erected in the 1750’s, the impressive building you see today was added to it in 1810 by George Hilton, and came to be known as the Greenland House until 1866.
Located on Breakfast Hill Road, this house was erected by Thomas Berry, son of William Berry who was an early settler in Rye in 1632. The Eastern Railroad line once ran to the west of the house across Breakfast Hill Road.
This house was occupied in 1776 by Thomas Berry Jr., a descendant of William Berry who was the first settler in
Rye 1n 1632. Erected circa 1736 by Thomas Berry, the present house still bears the original clapboards, wrought
nails and some of the glass in the attic windows, although there are some modern changes including the stone piazza
and bay window. The present owner is Doctor Emer Sewall, the eighth generation to reside there. His daughter,
Janet, is the current resident and represents the ninth generation to live there and the twelth generation to live in the
New Hampshire seacoast area since 1631.
Once part of a 100 acre farm, this handsome house boasts no less than eight fireplaces, indicating the prosperty of the area.