Home » Places » Bayley Tavern

Bayley Tavern

While the date of the house’s erection is unclear, part of it may have been standing as early as 1690. It was enlarged, and used as a public house or tavern in 1765. For a time, church services were held here during the winter months as it was heated. The tavern was operated by the Bayley family from 1776 to 1840, after which the Pickering family kept the business for a few years more.