The noted statesman Daniel Webster lived in this fine residence between 1808-1812.
This fine Greek Revival farmhouse with a slate roof hints at the prosperity that Greenland enjoyed prior to the Civil War era.
While the date of the house’s erection is unclear, part of it may have been standing as early as 1690. It was enlarged, and used as a public house or tavern in 1765. For a time, church services were held here during the winter months as it was heated. The tavern was operated by the Bayley family from 1776 to 1840, after which the Pickering family kept the business for a few years more.
The former North School, used as a primary school until 1920, this attractive brick schoolhouse is now home to the Greenland Veterans Association.
Used as a schoolhouse until 1903, when schools were consolidated in the center of town, this structure is now a private residence. Early Education in Town While home education was common, the first school was authorized to be held in the upper parsonage in 1793.
Built by Samuel Weeks, the structure is amongst the oldest brick structures in New England, having survived earthquakes and fire. The house is presently occupied by tenants, but there are trails on the surviving 30 acres of the farmstead that lead to Great Bay.
Like many farms in town, the Ayers Homestead saw many uses, such as playing host to General Tom Thumb’s troop of entertainers on tour in the mid 19th century.
Home to a congregation of Korean-American Methodists.
Built on the site of the Brackett Academy, which had burned down in 1919. The original stone building housed grades 1-8. Since then, it has been expanded several times, the largest and latest addition having been completed in 2004.
Greenland is part of School Administrative Unit 50, which includes Rye, New Castle and Newington. Their offices are located in the house next to Greenland Central School.